Among the most highly anticipated opening weekend matchups are the Mets and Braves. Atlanta is a two-time defending National League East Division champion. While the Mets were a near-miss for the 2019 playoffs. At the beginning of 2020, the Braves are favored to repeat as NL East champs. New York is considered to perhaps be the top threat to Atlanta. Some gamblers are concerned about the Mets’ ability to build on their improvement. Also facing betting on MLB games doubts is 2019 NL Home Run King Pete Alonso. Was Alonso a flash in the pan or here to stay?
Atlanta Braves at New York Mets Game Information
|Date and Time:||Friday, July 24, 2020, 4 p.m. ET|
|Location:||Citi Field, Queens, New York|
|Braves vs. Mets TV Coverage:||ESPN|
Atlanta Braves at New York Mets SBG Odds Analysis
On this occasion, we should see fairly even sportsbook action on both teams. New York has a large and passionate fan base. Often times this bets up their price into an overlay. In like manner, Atlanta is the team of the entire southeastern United States. Braves backers are also banking on those past two NL East titles.
Probable Starters and Bullpen
The first starter for the Braves is right-hander Mike Soroka. Age 22, Soroka was 13-4 with a 2.68 earned run average. He was a 2018 National League All-Star. Subsequently, Soroka has one of the brightest futures in the game.
Mark Melancon is a battle-tested veteran closer. However, he has not been dominant since 2016. Melancon posted 12 saves with a 5-2 record and 3.61 earned run average in 2019.
Right-hander Jacob deGrom is the expected starter for the Mets. Consistent with that status is two National League All-Star honors in the past three seasons. Most important of all is that deGrom has won the last two NL Cy Young Awards. Last year deGrom was 11-8 with a 2.43 earned run average.
Of major concern is the terrible 2019 performance of closer Edwin Diaz. He was 2-7 with a 5.59 earned run average with seven blown saves.
The Braves are:
- 7-10 in their last 17 away games
- 8-6-1 over the total away from home
- 7-7 in their last 14 away games vs. the Mets
- 3-7-1 under the total at Citi Field against the Mets
- 3-6 on the road against the National League East
- 4-6-1 under the total in away games vs. the National League East
The Mets are:
- 10-4 in their last 14 games at Citi Field
- 6-5-1 over the total in their last 11 home games
- 12-8 in their last 20 home games vs. the National League East
- 6-4 over the total at Citi Field vs. the National League East
- 6-11 in their last 17 games against the Braves
- 3-5-1 under the total in their last nine games with Atlanta
Atlanta Braves at New York Mets SBG Free Pick
In this situation, the Braves have a big bullpen advantage for Betting on MLB games. Commencing with 2019 NL All-Star LF Ronald Acuna is another Braves asset. Acuna totaled 127 runs, 22 doubles, 41 home runs, 101 runs batted in, and 37 stolen bases for 2019. More emphatically Atlanta is a complete team. New York has not quite reached that level.
Braves at Mets SBG Free Pick: Atlanta Braves