Fair Grounds is a thoroughbred racetrack in New Orleans, Louisiana. The track was initially opened as the “Union Race Course” in 1852.
In 1863 the name was changed to the Fair Grounds. In 1940 legislative sanction was given to racing in Louisiana.
In 1981 a turf course was installed and in 1994 the track was renovated to include a new clubhouse and grandstand and purchased by Churchill Downs.
Unfortunately the track was heavily damaged during Hurricane Katrina, but racing was still going ahead, even on a limited basis until repairs were completed.