Ice Box is the 3-1 morning line favorite in 2010 Belmont odds. The Kentucky Derby runner-up will start from post position number six.
He is a slight favorite in Belmont betting over Preakness runner-up First Dude and Dwyer Stakes winner Fly Down.
Trainer Nick Zito will be trying to win this third Belmont and he will have two of the favorites with Ice Box and Fly Down. A field of 12 will be going to the post on Saturday in a race that can be seen on ABC television at approximately 6:32 pm Eastern time.
Zito won the Belmont in 2004 with Birdstone and in 2008 with Da’ Tara. He may have an easier time in Saturday’s race since Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver and Preakness winner Lookin at Lucky will not be in the race. Zito has had 22 starters in the Belmont but only one time did he have the favorite and that was in 1991 with Strike the Gold who finished second to Hansel. His two Belmont winners with big longshots as Birdstone upset Smarty Jones to ruin his Triple Crown attempt while Da’Tara won two years ago when Big Brown faltered.
Zito’s two horses on Saturday will be starting right next to each other as Fly Down is in post number five while Ice Box is in post six. Their main competition is expected to come from First Dude who may go to the lead from the outside in post position number eleven. The morning line odds list First Dude as the second choice in the betting at 7-2.
Here is the field for Saturday’s Belmont in post position order, with horse, trainer, jockey and morning line odds:
1. Dave In Dixie, John Sadler, Calvin Borel, 20-1
2. Spangled Star, Rick Dutrow, Garrett Gomez, 30-1
3. Uptowncharleybrown, Kiaran McLaughlin, Rajiv Maragh, 10-1
4. Make Music For Me, Alexis Barba, Joel Rosario, 10-1
5. Fly Down, Nick Zito, John Velazquez, 9-2
6. Ice Box, Nick Zito, Jose Lezcano, 3-1
7. Drosselmeyer, Bill Mott, Mike Smith, 12-1
8. Game On Dude, Bob Baffert, Martin Garcia, 10-1
9. Stately Victor, Mike Maker, Alan Garcia, 15-1
10. Stay Put, Steve Margolis, Jamie Theriot, 20-1
11. First Dude, Dale Romans, Ramon Dominguez, 7-2
12. Interactif, Todd Pletcher, Javier Castellano, 12-1